1 2
BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
1/24/19 6:54 p.m.

I was adding some new plates to my collection and wondered if there were other collectors on here? We typically try to find them when traveling, it makes shopping with the wife a little more entertaining for me. You never know where you are going to find them.

The obvious goal is to get all 50 states. My Caribbean island collection is growing pretty rapidly too.  They are all screwed to 2'x4' pieces of particle board... just waiting for us to find a permanent house/garage to hang them in.

I've got some extra georgia, illinois, and probably a couple others if anyone wants to trade.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/24/19 7:12 p.m.

I have about 50 on my wall, but all of mine have been worn by a car I owned, so no 50 states. 

But I do have a couple from movie cars. wink

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/24/19 7:27 p.m.

Guilty...I've managed to grab a couple from Chile and Brazil

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/19 7:33 p.m.

I have 8-10 of them. Mostly from cars I have owned. They are screwed to the ceiling in my shop. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/24/19 7:33 p.m.

Close friend of mine collects them too. So I give him all that I run across. 

At one point he had them in the side wall of his garage (and had enough to cover 70% of the wall). I tell you what hitting those bad boys with your headlights when pulling in at night was an experience.

Also, another close friend lived in an apartment about a quarter mile away. While in the garage with the license plates he would hit the plates with his laser pointer from his deck. That caused quite the light show too.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/24/19 8:07 p.m.

I'm looking for one from The Netherlands. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/19 8:20 p.m.

I have a bunch of cool old plates, including some prototypes. Most have never been on a car. I’ll get some photos over the next few days. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/24/19 8:28 p.m.

PM me your address and I'll send you some Texas ones if you want. I have plenty 

Woody
1/24/19 9:03 p.m.

This is just some stuff I have hanging in the garage:

Woody
1/24/19 9:04 p.m.

Woody
1/24/19 9:05 p.m.

Woody
1/24/19 9:06 p.m.

Woody
1/24/19 9:07 p.m.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/24/19 9:44 p.m.

I have 37 states. Going for all 50

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/24/19 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Connecticut was the first state to offer personalized plates. I do not know what year they started, but ELIZ in 1942 is super cool.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/25/19 6:44 a.m.

I've got a bunch tacked up in my shop, mostly from cars I've owned but also friends cars (so almost all Georgia) and random stuff I've found. It does make a bright target when you pull into the shop.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/25/19 6:51 a.m.

I have a pile of plates from my cars. They are just sitting in a cabinet. This thread reminded me I need to hang them up. 

I guess I have 5 to 7 states (WV, ID, FL maybe, CT maybe, VA, AL, MN). 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/25/19 7:43 a.m.

My father collected all 50 plus maybe two dozen international ones back in the 1980s. Still hanging on the wall in the basement.

Woody
1/25/19 9:10 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Woody :

Connecticut was the first state to offer personalized plates. I do not know what year they started, but ELIZ in 1942 is super cool.

I should have known that, but I didn’t. Thanks!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/19 4:15 p.m.

Is there a network of you plate collector folks?  I really want/need a 1965-1969 Manufacturer’s plate from Michigan to complete my Challenge theme.  I might fake one, but the real thing would be cool.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/25/19 6:37 p.m.

I tend to use the old plates for sheetmetal patches. Cool too see some of the older vintage plates occasionally. I've debated trying to find a 78 plate for my zephyr 

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
1/26/19 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

The one shaped like a bear is awesome...

In reply to AngryCorvair:

I would assume there is a group for this out there somewhere... but I've never looked for one.

Woody
1/26/19 8:14 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I’m not really a collector, I’m just a guy with a bunch of license plates. 

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
1/26/19 11:06 a.m.

I have several Massachusetts plates, nothing special but if anyone wants them I'll ship them for free.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/26/19 6:00 p.m.

tjbell said:

I have several Massachusetts plates, nothing special but if anyone wants them I'll ship them for free.

I don’t have mass 

I would love any free plates 

my kids collecting them 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A4orojzCt0Ty1FPOFwR1aJfsywJL3S4LE9J4RSdgRb1xipN8uiFWtIbPp5VItpUa